Fun Activities for Spring or Earth Day
The Wind's Garden
Read The Wind's Garden.
Follow up with any of the following activities:
|1. DISCUSS THE ART WORK, THEN PAINT YOUR OWN SPRING PICTURES.|
Here's what Melanie Hope Greenberg says about the artwork in THE WIND'S GARDEN:
"There are no straight lines in this book, because nature has no straight lines."
"Every time we go into the girl's garden, there are borders around the art. Nature's garden is boundless, so I painted full bleed spreads."
Melanie also notes that the story is told through color. For early spring she used chartreuse, FOR later spring she painted with green/yellow, and for summer she used brilliant green.
|2. MUD PIE WITH WORMS|
You will need:
- Chocolate Pudding (two 6 oz packages instant pudding, mixed with milk, according to directions on package, or prepared pudding)
- Oreo Cookies, crushed (put in bag and crush with rolling pin, or chop in food processor)
- Gummy worms
- Terra cotta flower pots (8 mini pots or one large pot, clean and unused)
- Foil or plastic wrap
- Plastic shovels (clean and unused), OR plastic, silk, or chocolate lollipop flowers
1. Line flower pots with foil or plastic wrap.
2. Fill pots almost to the top with pudding.
3. Add gummy worms, so they are half in and half out of "mud."
4. Sprinkle cookie crumbs over the top.
5. Stick a shovel or a flower into each pot.
3. FLOWER FUN GLASSES- easy to make!
Click here for pattern for Flower Fun Glasses.
Directions for Flower Fun Glasses:
For sturdier glasses, print out the pattern on card stock. (If you don't have card stock, use regular computer paper, cut out the pattern, and trace the pattern pieces onto cardboard.)
Cut out the pieces.
Fold the sidepieces on the dotted lines.
Tape the sidepieces to the back of the flower glasses.
[If you would like colored sunglasses, you can also tape colored cellophane over the openings.]
Wear your Flower Fun Glasses!!!
|4. HAPPY SPRING CARD|
1. Fold a piece of construction paper in half.
2. On the outside of the card, draw a picture of a tall flower.
3. On the inside of the card write:
My love for you just grows and grows!
4. Slip a package of flower seeds inside the card.
|LINKS FOR MORE FUN IDEAS:|
Spring and Gardening Fun Links
|Back to Spring Fun |
St. Patrick's Day Gift Shop-
Irish Gifts for the whole clan!
Hop to the Easter Shop!
Easter Gifts, Easter Candy, Easter Baskets, Easter Toys, Easter Flowers, Easter Decorations, Easter Books
Mother's Day Gift Boutique
Father's Day Gift Shop